November 1, 2009

Ends of the day

Photography and motorcycling have one convenient thing in common: both are best at the first or last ends of the day. It's all about the light. Sunrise is a crisp and alert light washing over still-sleeping subjects. It comes on fast and strong and fills the landscape with motivation for the day. Sunset has a muted brilliance that burns to live up to the photographer's naming, 'beauty light'. Everything looks more perfect awash in scarlet haze. The bike likes these things too as it rolls through familiar terrains temporarily disguised by the lights and shadows of the ends of the day.

Ends of the day
Canon 5D + 20mm @ ƒ/5

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dan:

It's refreshing to look at images from my area. I think we live close to each other, I am very close to Oakridge/QE park, 2 mins to Kerrisdale.
I also like to ride around and take pictures. I also took NF25 from Randle down to Carson last year but NF99 to Windy Ridge was closed.
Nice bike

bob
bobskoot: wet coast scootin

LumpyCam said...

Hi Bob, Great to hear from you and compliments on your scootin blog. You've got a knack for documenting your adventures with wit and images. Any, yes, we're pretty much neighbours as I'm around 41st and Arbutus. We've probably already waved at each other several times while riding and never knew it!

Unknown said...

Dan:

You have some nice, creative angles with your bike. What makes them unique is that they are in ordinary locations, not set up with perfect backgrounds with scenic backdrops. You have a good "eye" .

I am sure that our paths will cross soon.

There are a couple of moto bloggers in our area, on my blog list:

1) Big Guy, Small Scooter &
2) Baron's Life

bob
bobskoot: wet coast scootin

LumpyCam said...

Hey Bob - I've just checked out the sites and it's great to see some other scooter riders in the area. I've also got an Lx50 per Big Guy, but he's way more adventurous than I'd planned to be with that little 50cc.